Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gifting as new ethics for business (eBay)

Nearing the end of my most recent auctions on eBay, which were acting as a sort of social experiment in the concept of gifting as a business practice. I've been working on ways to incorporate the 10 principles of burning man http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_burningman/principles.html into the default world over this past year, and my most recent experiments have involved gifting vs tithing, and I have been doing some observations to artist on eBay who begin auctions for their art at the minimum 1cent bidding, often with free shipping! I'm very drawn to this idea, as for me art has always been something that though I (as most artists, I'm sure) would greatly love to reap the benefits of  being able to live off the profits of my art, I will continue to produce art, nonetheless as it's something I feel driven to do. Watching these types of auctions was exciting as most of the bidding ended at well over the starting bids, and during this I had the idea that really 1 cent being the lowest minimum bid possible on eBay means you're basically willing to give it to someone (this is especially true with auctions that the seller pays for shipping, that one I'm still working on, and have greatly reduced the cost of shipping to take some of the shipping cost myself) and the gift of random monetary value is being exchanged with the artist. Also, starting at $0.01 is allowing the market to set the price more based on it's level of novelty, and in this way is more like stock trade. My most recent auctions were more successful with lower starting bids, and I think my policy from now on will be the 1 cent model (though, still in the experimentation phase of developing our business model). There is a new round of auctions we're in the midst of preparation for, and this will be the final pricing experiment before I've created a median of starting bid prices to consider for future auctions. The money from the most recent auctions will go towards new inventory when we go to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area in a few weeks. As for the other 10 principles applied to default reality, I will be discussing this more during the next few weeks at blueaugustmoon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment