Thursday, August 9, 2012

the thrifting identity

Today, I went out to hunt and gather in the big world. I explored the uncharted territories of the Lutheran thrift store and found an immense amount of bargains that are either for kids back to school or for eBay sales  next week. I realized while I was shopping how much more comfortable I am within the world of the thrifters. I suppose to some it could be an alternate dimension that could be feared, with the screaming children, the hoarders, the trash disciples and the bag ladies. I suppose being a thrifter brought about a good deal of my interest in anthropology... from the time I was walking I absorbed every picture in the national geographics that my grandfather hoarded in his closet, and each trip to a goodwill with my nannie and poppa, grandparents or parents growing up was like a living national geographic to me. There were always relics from a plethora of different cultures, and the world of thrift itself was always it's very own cultural experience. I've spent most of my life within the walls of a thrift store or another, and it wasn't until today, at 31 years old that I realized how at home I felt. I walked around the many rooms of the church thrift store, tickled at how organized it is, so tickled in fact, that I left my name and number as a contact for volunteering (which entitles me to first dibs on items as well as 50% 0ff!) and found the company of the older church ladies very soothing to my soul. I made one last stop at the habitat for humanity restore before shipping my eBay items, in search of more items to resell or school clothes for the kids and found more treasures! Everyone I met, employee or shopper gave me the nod or a smile. I looked around and I thought to myself, I like this life just fine. And I do. Perhaps it's growing up, perhaps it's getting to know myself deeper, but I am happy with where my life is,  right now and that is a very good thing indeed.


Today's finds include:

Bissell baglass vacuum (talked them down to $6)
HUGE bag of kids clothes, me clothes and eBay clothes, four records and a magnet ($20)
Two stylish and eBay worthy winter coats ($2)

No comments:

Post a Comment